Re: Best Sub Shape

In a message dated 7/1/99 10:13:09 PM, fphillips5@excite.com writes:

<<Members, Regardless of what the non-pressure skin looks like or what the
material that's used, is it fair to assume the best pressure hull shape is
still the sphere?  F. Phillips>>

That's entirely dependant on your purpose. The sphere is the simplest and
most efficienct hull form, but not necessarily the best type of hull until
pressure becomes a primary factor (such as a 2,000 meter operating depth or
something). Shallow boats can have different shapes and for the psubbers
uses.  However, a spherical hull is simple, cheap and quick to build. One
equatorial weld, a few viewports and penetrators and a hatch and you're in
business.

For example, look at the early Electric Boat sub Star I, which was built for
fun by two in-house engineers as a personal project (early psubbers?!!!) and
adopted by the company. It was a 48" sphere with pressure compensated
batteries mounted in a streamlined tail with trolling motor thrusters and a
plexi dome as a hatch. 1/4" thick and rated to 200 feet (it would almost
certainly have gone a good bit deeper). From that design, Ashera, Star II and
Star III were developed. A psubber could buy a couple of hemisperical heads
and be in the sub business for $500 or so. It carried two 18-volt battery
boxes, some surplus WW II air corps oxygen bottles for flotation, and could
be launched right off the beach off a trailer. In fact, it sounds like
something right up our alley!

The work boats of the past were cylindrical because we filled them full of
hardware and ham sandwiches and stuff and hung hundreds of pounds of gear off
them and carried tons of batteries. Psubbers, for the most part, don't need
all that stuff. I'd say a small spherical hull in a streamlined outer skin
was definitely worthy of consideration.

Vance