Re: battery boxes

In a message dated 7/3/99 8:56:59 PM, rmorrisson@unidial.com writes:

<<Rick,
The obvious choice for a restraining system would be a cage of small pvc
pipe.  It would have the same
ease of construction and resistance to salt water and battery acid.  If you
were to use round flat
plates (pvc again) every 18" or so with holes for some longitudinal pvc pipe
you would have ribs for
stiffening as well.  The whole structure could slide in and out for
maintenance.  I'm working on a
small version of this for the diver propulsion unit I told you about.

Rick Lucertini wrote:

> VBra676539@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 6/30/99 3:11:42 AM, empiricus@sprint.ca writes:
> >
> > <<12" PVC?  I wanted something complicated!  Do you remember more or less
> > what the depth rating was on
> > the pipe?  If it was on a Perry, are we talking minimum 200 meters?  If I
can
> > use PVC it'll save me
> > a lot of work.
> > >>

> > Yeah, yeah. I understand completely. I think the tests were to 200 FEET,
not
> > meters. They tested the first one to destruction and I think it imploded
at
> > 400 feet or so. Not bad for plumbing fixtures, eh?
> > Vance
>
> Two of our lead guys are saying 12" PVC may cut the mustard for batt boxes
within 40 or so meters.
> This is starting to sound good.
>
> What about a restraining system inside the PVC pipe?
>
> Rick>>

Another option, and the one used at Perry, was a pair of 1" X 1" aluminum
angles running the pod length and attached (I think) to pvc welded lugs that
were pre-drilled and tapped for 1/4 X 20 cap screws. The batteries themselves
lived on a pvc tray with guides on the bottom and ledges along the upper
surface to capture the batts. I can't remember how the thing was secured, but
the tray is a dirt simple solution to pulling the four batteries. It's the
same design we used on a larger scale in the submersibles.
Vance