Re: Wztching for surface traffic (was: Submarine Movie? or TV?)

Hi Mike,
It seems to me that a simple hydrophone would allow the sub pilot to hear the
boat, and listening for a moment would give a good idea of whether the boat
was approaching or leaving (just from the change in amplitude).  A more
sophisticated device might include a spectrum analyzer to pick off the
strongest signals and then some software to check the doppler shift (for
speed) as the boat approached or left.  As far as a frequency common to all
outboards, I would think they are all a function of rpm's.  For those of the
group with time in subs, can you hear boats approaching, and if so can you
determine direction, and/or approximate distance?  I know what it sounds like
to a diver (once the terror subsides) when a speed boat passes but I have no
experience in subs to relate (yet).
Dick Morrisson