Re: bellows on batteries

Steve,

The way the valve in a Valve Regulated Sealed Lead Acid (VRSLA) is intended
to work is only as a last resort to relieve excess pressure. During normal
operation the valve never operates. This is due to primarily two reasons. The
first is that venting the cell spaces with air or even an inert gas will
cause some evaporation of the water in the electrolyte degrading the battery.

The second is that allowing air which contains oxygen into the cell intefers
with the plate that is supposed to recombine oxygen and degrades the plates
ability to make the recombination reaction to occur. Then overcharging can
cause the valve to open due to lack of the recombination reaction rate and
capacity.

I suppose that if the bellows can withstand the necessary over pressure and
can be filled with an inert gas and water vapor in the right quantity then
the technique might work. It's important to recognize that the process
requires each cell making up the battery to have its own bellows.

I still think the best is a 1 ATM battery container with catalaytors and a
sealed AGM battery to be the best bet.

As an interesting note: The AGM batteries use the same basic technology as
the sealed Gates lead acid about the size of a D cell. As advertised by Gates
the cells are sealed but are not recommended to be housed in a sealed
container. Sealed is a relative term since the Gates cells can be charged in
an inert liquid like Flourinert and bubbles can be observed from the cells
during charging. The gas in the bubbles is hydrogen. The only good seals I
know of is glass metal seals which most of the Aerospace cells have.

Ken Martindale

In a message dated 7/5/99 12:05:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, SJSVOB@aol.com