Re: Watching for surface traffic

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:45:32 -0400 Jonathan Shawl writes:
>> I've asked before about a device that would listen for a frequency
common
>> to all outboards, as a warning device for submarines.    It would be
>> simple to build.
>> Anyone ever heard of this?
>
>Yea Mike, I already have a  2 warning devices  like this, and you
>don't have to build it.
>I call it "EARS" :-)

Electronic Approach . . . .   No, that's not it.   But it obviously ends
in
"System" . . . .

I still think the gadget would be fun to build and use, if only to learn
that it's not reliable.

>It works like this, if you can hear anything it's not safe to surface.
>And you can here a lot even in a steel hull!

Tristan Jones wrote something relevant in this matter.   He said that
if you can see it, it's too close.    What "it" is really doesn't matter.
This philosphy would appear to translate well to acoustics and
submarines.

>Surface support is a good idea too!

But you gotta have those claustrophobic buddies!   It's like flying, as
expressed by a buddy of mine: no matter how much they like
watching him take off and land, they eventually want to go with
him.

Mike