Re: Typhoon

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:36:42 -0400 Jonathan Shawl writes:
>Maybe you guys already know this, but here it is anyway. What you see
>on the outside is just the skin, not the pressure hull. It is not a
simple
>sub. I once saw a line
>drawings in a magazine like maybe Pop Sci. or Mech. Illustrated,

Is MI still being published?   I always liked it.

>showing that it may actually have 2 main pressure hulls side by side
with a
>3rd smaller round hull nested between them on top, just under the con.
>That would explain it's non conventional shape and it's deep depth
rating for a
>sub that size. It's more like a 2 in 1 sub.

I read about that.   It supposed to be a pair of Delta hulls with an
added hull
for the control center.

> From the info I saw on the
>web, the reason it has a stout sail it so it can hold up to ice breaking

>service.

That's a big part of it, but the sail shape does change flow over
the rudders and screws at higher speeds.   Shape the sail wrong
and the controls can reverse at some speeds.

>If you are just building a display model or a wet sub, then yes it is a
>simple to build shape. Has anyone ever found any other info to support
>or show this twin hull idea?

Yeah, see above.   There's a video about the Typhoon, made by a Japanese
TV crew that got aboard one.   I gotta have a copy . . . .

The SSGN Charlie design, as best I can figure from photos and drawings,
is built much the same way as a Typhoon: two hulls.

There was a Typhoon sort-of hull  built for a candy commerical on TV.
Does
anyone know if it was a wet sub?   As long as I'm wondering, what
happened
to the Red October hull?

Mike Holt