Level of Technology

Psubbers,

A couple of recent postings have recommended going back to the old literature
for the basics of submarine design.  I recommend the period 1880-1920, with
the magazine Scientific American as an excellent source.

I have a good lead on these articles and books.  It is a 250-page annotated
bibliography containing approximately 4,500 documents published between 1557
and 1953.  If you cannot run down a copy, I will gladly loan you mine.

An Annotated Bibliography of Submarine Technical Literature 1557 to 1953,
prepared by the National Research Council-National Academy of Sciences, under
the auspices of the Office of Naval Research, Washington, DC, March 1954.  My
copy is 30 years old, and indicates it was provided by the Armed Services
Technical Information Agency, and was document AD #49957.  I assume that
means that the National Technical Information Center owns it now, but I am
not sure.  If you want to borrow it, send me an e-mail with a snail-mail
address.

Doug Farrow