Re: Helmets, bells (was: "Bootlegging Real Psubs")

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael B Holt <michaelbholt@juno.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Friday, July 09, 1999 12:28 AM
Subject: Helmets, bells (was: "Bootlegging Real Psubs")

    For what it's worth, I've seen the 'homemade' open-
bottom diving helmet in at least two places.  The Maritime
Museum<?> in Beaufort, NC [USA] use to have a home-
made diving helmet on display with a handpump.  The helmet
was just weighted and sat on the shoulders.  Also, I know
the Miami Seaquarium (Miami, FL, [USA]) uses a powered
rig like this for feeding the fish in at least one of their big
fish tanks.

    I also just remembered seeing an advertisement for
a tourist place in Bermuda (the island<g>) where you
can don one of these helmets and walk around in
shallow water.

    I just LOVE being a packrat. <g>  I just rifled through
all the stuff I brought back from Bermuda (which ain't
much), and found an ad.  It's called "Hartley's
Under Sea Adventures".   The phone number is
234-2861 (the area code for Bermuda is 441<?>).