Re: Christening subs (was: Missile recovery trips)

In a message dated 7/15/99 2:49:46 AM, michaelbholt@juno.com writes:

<<
So your subs were completely ready for sea at launching?   Nothing to
add?

Ready for sea, aye. Subsystems were tested and installed and tested again on
the deck. There were surface trials and all, then stepped dives for tests,
but we had a big old tank in the weld shop and pressure tested the completed
sub in it to full operating depth, with crew aboard, before it ever went into
the water. We took no chances. By the time it got to the salt water, we knew
it was going to work. And unlike the Titanic, these things were supposed to
sink. And did. On demand. We ran 'em like Ford tractors, for day after day,
and they just kept on going, just like they were supposed to.
Vance