"Ginger Ale", was Re: Re: Christening subs (was: Missile recoverytrips)

---Michael B Holt <michaelbholt@juno.com>
 wrote:---
>On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:26:38 EDT VBra676539@aol.com writes:
>>Don't know about unique--launchings tended to be pragmatic--when it was
>time,
>>the whole shop turned out and the construction supervisor for that
>particular
>>sub (usually Jim Dudley, Ty Merritt or George Bezak while I was at
>Perry)
>>climbed aboard after a REALLY thorough pre-dive and we lowered the thing
>an
>>inch at a time into the water--then ran it. Simple.
>
>I heard the Titanic was launched that way.   Once it was finished, they
>just slid the thing into the water.
>
>So your subs were completely ready for sea at launching?   Nothing to
>add?
>
>>The owners usually put on
>>some sort of do for the christening, as opposed to the first application
>of
>>water to hindquarters. I've been to several of those, and they vary.
>>Taylor Diving & Salvage paid for the beer. Intersub had champagne.
>
>What's been the celebratory beverage of choice on psubs?   I might
>chose good English tea, actually.
>
>>Bring your pastor if your mind works that way.
>
>Ah!   Is there a special prayer delivered at launchings?   I was told
>once
>that Poseiden and Odin need to be placated.
>
>I'll ask my preacher about that.  He's Presbyterian.   I wonder if my
>lady friend who's Roman Catholic could find something?   Hmmm . . . .
>
>>And you'd better let your sig/other do the  bottle on the bow rail
>deal--
>
>Is this to keep peace in the family or is there a mystical significance
>to it?
>I'd have her there just to prove to her that I'd actually been doing
>something
>real, all that time.
>
>Thanks, Vance.
>
>Any other ideas?
>

>Mike Holt
>--

Michael Holt and Vance,
To answer your questions, we should launch our Psubs Group Designed Personel Submersibles with "Ginger Ale" for the Christening beverage and put the new kid in "Foster Care" and it's "Party Time!"

Are you still with us, Ginger?  We all miss you.  Why don't you just speak you mind next time and get things off of your chest. (just kidding, Admiral).  What ever happened to all the talk about the Psubs designed sub anyway?  That sure took a quick dump!  Another "Hunley like" fizzle?
Jack

__
http://www.go.com