Re: design team

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:30:21 EDT VBra676539@aol.com writes:
>Unfortunately, I think the new edict will drive lots of folks toward
personal
>emails and away from the open forum, which is too bad. The gab-fest of
>letters and questions and ideas was instructive and interesting.

Even with the attendant luncy, it was fun.   Oh, well.

The interesting part of the exchange was that it was exactly like two
I've seen in the last year.   On two other lists there were major
distruptions
caused by copyright concerns, by legal threats because of archives and
by upset over off-topic messages.   And all the complaints were by new
users and non-participants.

As my daughter says, "Humans are so weird."

Let's talk submarine.

>Now that we
>are all under pressure (sic) to perform to some specific (though
nebulous)
>standard, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to have the free flow
of
>ideas that made the site such an interesting and thought-provoking
>place in the first place. That is not to say that the generic sub design
is
>impossible. Just that it won't have the personality it might have had,
>nor the potential for fun. Count me in, though.

Welcome to the zoo.   With this collection of individuals, it will have
personality.

>Shall we start with the
>sub's mission? A mission statement is needed to set the fundamental
>requirements we
>will  have to meet as to size, shape, capabilities, etc.
>Single-seater? Multi-seat? Observation? Light work? Free-swimming?
>Tethered? Fast? Slow?

I'd suggest two-place, at least.

Free-swimming, as many of us aren't going to have the "staff" to handle
the other end of the tether.

>Small viewports? Big ones? Shallow or deep? Internal motor? External?

All this seems to hang together.    I daresay we all want to see as much
as possible, and this suggests a shallow operating depth; say, 100 feet.
External motors protects us from having to worry about leaking shaft
seals.

>Hard trim system? Soft tanks?

Don't know about this.

>And so on. How the heck do we decide on those sorts
>of things in a timely manner. Committees are large creatures with many
>arms and legs (and keepboards) and no brains, I have always been told.
This
>could be puzzling psubbing at best.

Yeah.   I've been on committees a lot.

I think if an operating depth and a number of seats is determined, all
the
rest will kinda rattle free in a natural manner.

Mike Holt