Re: Screw size and speed

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:24:20 EDT VBra676539@aol.com writes:
>For what it's worth, I've used both styles, and however good the new,
>rare-earth motors in the 1 to 2 hp range, I still prefer the big wheel.

Thanks, Vance, for this note.

"From My Old Boat Shop," by Weston Farmer, espouses low-RPM,
high-torque power plants.   I presumed that concept might work for
submerged boats, too.

>The  smaller boats
>turned smaller wheels, but not by much. Both PC-14s, for instance,
>used plain  old 36 volt golf cart motors. 5000 rpm if memory serves
>with 17 to 1 gear reduction. They turned a 28 X 24 bronze wheel and
>ran nearly 5 knots on the surface.

Where did Perry get the reduction gears?   Any idea if a significant
amount of energy was lost in the gears?

All this, and it seems to me that a boat with two madly spinning tiny
screws would just look and sound funny.   Big screws may inspire
more respect.

Mike Holt