TurboCAD file types

It appears TurboCAD does not generate pdf files (although my version is not the latest). I paste the following from the TurboCAD help:

-------------------

The following table describes the file types supported by TurboCAD 3.0:

File Type             Extension       Comment
TurboCAD 3.0           .TCW          Default file type for TurboCAD 3.0.
TurboCAD 3D            .MDL          File type of TurboCAD 3D; TurboCAD 3.0 can open and save files of this type.
TurboCAD Template    .TCT          Use predefined or custom templates as basis for new drawings.
TurboCAD 2.0            .TCW          You can open, but not save, files as this type.
TurboCAD DOS          .TCD          You can open, but not save, files as this type.
AutoCAD DXF             .DXF          Common CAD file exchange type.
AutoCAD DWG         .DWG          AutoCAD drawing files.
HPGL                      .PLT          Commonly used CAD file type.

That said, I have in the past managed to paste CAD diagrams into Word documents as images, although it was a slightly convoluted process.

As a TurboCAD user, I do think the program is good, particularly the 2D program. I am only using the 3D program for exploring sizing issues, for example for determining the number and size of batteries that would fit in a given space. It is also great for viewing the sub overall. However, the 2D program is definitely more appropriate for blueprints of detailed components.

I can imagine the team using TurboCAD 3D during the initial phases of discussion, when the topics are still general configuration issues such as hull form, crew position, control surfaces, etc. Once you get past conceptual design into detailed design of components, the team should probably switch to TurboCAD 2D.

I'd say the 2D TurboCAD program can be mastered in a short day, and 3D in a long day. However, it does take quite a while to execute these drawings even if you understand the software. Maybe I'm just anal retentive, but as a rule of thumb it takes me as long to draw something as to machine it (but if properly drawn, I only machine it once!)

-Alec