Hull construction (was: Just A Question?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:07:50 EDT HUNTR2@aol.com writes:
>Welcome Rhonda,
>I always liked the idea of a double hull with corrigated support between
the
>hulls, but it must be too hard to engineer, build, test, and maintain.

I liked the idea, too, but I don't recall it being used anywhere.   What
Rhonda
seems to describe isn't really a double hull but a single hull made of
two
pieces.   Is that right, Rhonda?

> It's  been brought up a couple of times but nobody carries it very far.
 My
>GUESS  is that, for a little greater hull thickness, you can get a lot
more
>performance with out all the difficulties and drawbacks (eg, cost) of
>a double hull.   Is that right? anybody....

I'd kinda like to see this idea given some consideration.   At some
scale, it
might be a good thing.   For the little stuff we're thinking about, it
might
not.   But there's no obvious way to know without some research.

What would the materials be?   Aluminum with a kevlar honeycomb?
Could that deck material, the honeycomb stuff, be used to separate
two hulls?  I used to have samples of it, and it would bend, but it
would not crush.

I'd like to hear more about this.

Mike Holt