[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. summary Pressure Hull

Sean T. Stevenson cast55 at telus.net
Wed Dec 11 10:49:30 EST 2013

Is it possible that this rule is simply another way of stating that hatches need be designed to seal with pressure, such that they physically cannot be opened unless equalized (+/- a person's strength)?  Dogs in that case are just a means of providing a little bit of precompression on the O-ring in the absence of a pressure differential, and to hold the hatch against _slight_ reverse pressure, such at the 1 ATM specified by ABS.

ABS' version says that a means must be provided to equalize pressure before opening (needle valve?), that means must be provided to determine the pressure on either side, and that interlocks must be present to prevent e.g. submerging with open hatches.

I wonder if GL is really that prescriptive, or if we're misinterpreting?

Sean