[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. summary Pressure Hull

Douglas Suhr spiritofcalypso at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:06:58 EST 2013

I have to admit this one really befuddles me. What if you were to have two
(independent) pressure sensors/gauges, one for cabin pressure and one for
ambient pressure, but the gauges were linked at the needles with a one-way
gate. This way, the gauges would both be free to move independently, but
the gate would only open (and unlock the hatch lock-out via a switch) when
both needles were lined up in tandem indicating equal pressure, be it at
the surface or underwater. I think actually designing and building such a
device would prove very difficult.

Is this what they are talking about, or am I confused?

Because if so, I'm not sure I would ever want to implement such a device on
my vessel. If a malfunction of this system were to occur during an
emergency egress, how much more time would it take to bypass the hatch
lock-out? 3 seconds is a long time when you are dying!

With pressure gauges alone I will have a pretty good idea of where I stand
in terms of equalization.