[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. summary Pressure Hull

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 16:17:35 EST 2013

Hi Doug,
Elaborating on your idea.
If you had digital pressure gauges you could have a system
comparing the voltage of the two, & when they were in a
similar range they would activate or deactivate an electromagnet
that pulled back a latch that was impeding the movement of the hatch
release mechanism. (car door lock mechanism) You would
need a manual over-ride. Any electronics nerd could do this easily
& the car lock mechanisms I've seen for round $20-
With the over-pressure valve set at a couple of psi you know

that on the surface the most over pressure there could be is
what your over-pressure valve is set at. Under-pressure is
not such an issue as you won't be able to physically open the hatch
if the under pressure is too much, & hence you have to equalize.
So I don't think it needs sophisticated monitoring.
I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be if you opened your
hatch with a couple of psi over-pressure. Would the dome fly
open at 90 miles an hour, or would pressure be released incrementally
as the hatch dogs unlatched before fully releasing.
Obviously G.L. thinks this is an issue.
Alan