[PSUBS-MAILIST] Web based discussion

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Mon Jul 22 00:58:01 EDT 2013

The ISP can monitor that as well.  If you make too many separate
connections within a certain time period they will block you.
Unfortunately none of the major mailing list software come with such an
option anyway.  They are typically designed for large lists and the
problem with large lists is that you can get to a point where the
software can't keep up if the outgoing mail is throttled to low.  I did
write software for an outgoing only mailing list a few years ago which
incorporated throttling but to modify it to accept incoming mail as well
would require more time than I have to dedicate to it.

I have used majordomo since 1996 but development for it has been
stagnant for years now and it has ceased functioning with the latest
versions of Perl.  I moved over to mailman which looks to be working
quite nicely but it does not have throttling capabilities.  These large
ISP's are taking spam control to ridiculous levels in my opinion but
there is nothing I can do about it.  Microsoft is even worse (hotmail,
etc), they don't even give you the option of proving you are not
producing spam.

Unfortunately we're slowly falling between a rock and a hard place.  I
prefer the email option personally but about a dozen people are impacted
by this AOL block.  They would either have to create new accounts with
other providers as Douglas suggested, or file a complaint with AOL.  The
problem however is that I'm starting to see more and more of this happening.