[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. Classification Overview

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Thu Nov 28 05:02:36 EST 2013

On 11/28/2013 5:39 PM, Alan wrote:

> Then comes the build, which may require an initial inspection of your work shop
> & that of sub contractors. You are required to have a quality management
> system in place such as ISO 9001, have qualified people employed & name
> your supervisor to them.

Well, that's tens of thousands of dollars for ISO certification right up
front - that's if you can get it. This is worse than I thought.

> Any structural components are examined by the surveyor in uncoated condition.
> The pressure hull can be subjected to an external hydraulic pressure test at this
> Stage.

Another couple of tens of g's - if you can get the service. You've now
spent the equivalent of two to four times the cost of actually
constructing a small sub, and have nothing to show for it but (possibly)
an approved bare hull.

> However there is a yearly inspection & a 2 &1/2 yearly inspection to maintain class.
> After 5 years you have to reclassify. I have no idea what these annual inspections
> cost but guess they are additional to the classification cost.

That's a safe bet. What a racket!

> I suppose these exhaustive tests have relevance in the commercial realm where
> your submersible may be at the coal face every day & going down 2000ft, but if
> any authority required certification for private builders we would be wiped off the
> face of the planet.

Yup. Glad I live in the Philippines. Here, if you're only risking your
own life, it's pretty much your business... which is as it should be.

Marc

--
Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog
Polymath weblog: http://www.archivale.com/weblog