[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. Classification Overview

Alan alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 28 04:39:20 EST 2013

Hi all,
firstly with this summary of the G.L. Classification rules that I am attempting;
any additional information, comment & correction will be appreciated.
I can see some of it is going to be a struggle for me to understand without
a lot of background reading.
The page numbering on the G.L. PDF is a bit confusing. For any reference
I give I will quote the section & chapter no.. i.e. section 11 D, 4.3.1
   In overview the process starts with a contractual engagement & payment
of initial fee, followed by the submission of detailed plans of systems & their
operation etc etc etc. See section 2 E for details. These are viewed by G.L.
& any anomalies addressed.
Then comes the build, which may require an initial inspection of your work shop
& that of sub contractors. You are required to have a quality management
system in place such as ISO 9001, have qualified people employed & name
your supervisor to them.
Any structural components are examined by the surveyor in uncoated condition.
The pressure hull can be subjected to an external hydraulic pressure test at this
Stage.
A file of documents giving detailed specifications of the components is to be kept.
   A general guideline to design is that no failure of a single component
can give rise to a dangerous situation. The sub is also to be designed to facilitate
inspection & to have adequate submerged forward view for the pilot.
Any innovative or unusual parts or systems can be approved with adequate testing
as required by G.L..
There is a list of international codes that need to be complied with in section 2 B.
More details of manufacturing requirements will come out in the sections on the
specific  systems & components.
Once the submersible is complete the surveyor looks at every part, & tests
everything. I won't list these extensive tests, they are in section 2 G, 2 total system.
(They are a good reference for any psubber wanting a maintenance check list.)
If all is OK you go in their register & get a certificate valid for 5 years.
However there is a yearly inspection & a 2 &1/2 yearly inspection to maintain class.
After 5 years you have to reclassify. I have no idea what these annual inspections
cost but guess they are additional to the classification cost.
I suppose these exhaustive tests have relevance in the commercial realm where
your submersible may be at the coal face every day & going down 2000ft, but if
any authority required certification for private builders we would be wiped off the
face of the planet.
Next section is stability & buoyancy.