[PSUBS-MAILIST] Surface Transit and power requirements

jimtoddpsub at aol.com jimtoddpsub at aol.com
Sat Nov 30 11:49:33 EST 2013

If I had never been on sub diving operations I would be working on designing a system for self-propelled surface transit, however since I have been on a few dive ops I have to agree completely with Jon on this one.

If I'm more than about 50 meters from shore I want a competent support boat occupied by an adequate number of smart people.  Since you need a support boat anyway, having it tow the sub to the dive site is quicker, more efficient, less complex, and hopefully more comfortable.  The less time you spend in route to the dive site the better, especially if the sub must be occupied in transit in either direction.  Add hot weather to the mix and it becomes even more significant.

Something that might be helpful would be to design a tow sled (must be a better word) to attach to the front of the sub for better flow characteristics.  It's analogous to a tow dolly for towing a vehicle behind a motor home.  Most of the subs aren't very hydrodynamic, and something that would attach directly to the tow line and cut through the water better with even a little lift would be a great improvement.  Depending on the design it could also facilitate getting into and out of the sub at the dive site.  That by itself would be worth it.

Jim