[PSUBS-MAILIST] Surface Transit and power requirements

Joe Perkel josephperkel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 13:47:36 EST 2013

Good points all Jon.

Joe

On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:12 PM, Jon Wallace <jonw at psubs.org> wrote:

Except for calm lake conditions I don't think a piggy-back generator
    is practical.  On open ocean it is not a simple task to support sub
    dive ops.  Take another look at the "psychedelic sub" video from
    Islamorada this year and note the bobbing of the sub, the divers,
    and the support boat in only 2 foot seas.  Having been in that water
    helping weight-balance Snoopy, I can't imagine trying to load/unload
    a generator (even a small one) from the top of it.

A small semi-rigid inflatable also won't be practical as surface
    support in such conditions.  Doug's 25 foot boston whaler was being
    tossed pretty well and drifting heavily.  Who wants to be 5 miles
    out on the open ocean in a small cramped inflatable fighting wave,
    wind and current?

Jon