[PSUBS-MAILIST] T-Rex Thrusters & Cooling

Joe Perkel josephperkel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 20:48:56 EDT 2013

I am trying to understand George's design intent reference his 1 ATM SCH40 pipe housings and cooling.

Where #8 SCH40 O.D. being 8.625" and your typical 2-3 HP DC enclosed fan cooled motor being roughly 6", was it his intent to have this airspace between the motor and inner wall for air circulation, or is this space simply incidental?

I am wondering if these housings can be slimmed down to a more snug or custom fit with a reliance on conduction for cooling? Perhaps even filling the 1 ATM housing with non-compensated oil for the sole purpose of efficient conduction?

I am also noting that the bow thruster industry likes to get the motor out of the props way with a 90 degree drive arrangement. This has interesting implications for potentially more efficient and downsized lateral thrusters.

Some musings.

Joe