[PSUBS-MAILIST] Diesel Psubs

MerlinSub at t-online.de
Sat Oct 12 12:35:00 EDT 2013

Marc exact that..

- Close the door of the engine compartment helps.

- stay a time on the surface before diving helps also -but not so much.

    On a close enviroment like a submarine the machinery is still hand
warm on the next day..

- The pressure tight cooling system is exact what I did. But for other
reasons.

  A normal boats diesel cooling has a internal freshwater cecurit with a
pump on the engine for the freshwater.
  than a heat exchanger between the interank freshwater and the external
seawater and a seawater pump for the external seawater cecurit.

 For saftey reason I go for a single loop. Means only the freshwater
sytem but running to the outside pipes and pressure tight. Caleld "keel
cooling system" here. Many fishing vessel here have aht simple system.
Only one pump, no heat exchanger and no vales to close before diving on
the cooling system. Of course there are two valves - but just for
emergency closing if the outside pipe system is damage - very unusual by
angle bar pipes made of one inch strong steel.

 In general the system can be use to cool the engine block down. But my
freswater pump is direct driven by the diesel via a  belt and will not
operate underwater. And I think it is wrong to cool the diesel down that
way - maybe you need his force short after surfacing.

On a psub size sub it makes sence to run the diesel just as electric
powergenerator in his own sound box.
Purchase of the shelf ready with all auxillariy systems. On a bigger sub
like Euronaut it may mmakes more sences for a direct diesel driven
propeller gear with a auxillery generator to load the batteries and
drive the baot underwater.

vbr Carsten

--

Carsten Standfuß