[PSUBS-MAILIST] vacuum packed

vbra676539 at aol.com vbra676539 at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 16:16:11 EDT 2013

On the vacuum question:

We pulled a vac and held it anytime pressure boundaries were disturbed or modified, say changing a penetrator or pulling the viewport or whatever. Day to day, no. You have to remember, these things were in the water more than they were out, and if the seals were working when you got home after work last night at midnight, then they're working at seven in the morning when pilot number two goes back over the stern. Nuytco's pre-dive vac is a good verifier, and easy to do on a small, small vehicle.

I do think it would serve us well for someone to design a K-hatch modified with thru-hatch closure. It is truly nutty to bolt ourselves into a sub without some way for someone on the outside to help us, should we need it. Maybe something for the next conference?

Vance