[PSUBS-MAILIST] vacuum packed

Smyth, Alec Alec.Smyth at covisint.com
Tue Sep 3 13:27:09 EDT 2013

Well, that's one I had to spend some thinking time on when PSUBS introduced the "convention diving prerequisite" that hatches open from either side. I eventually came to a solution that was jointly developed with Greg Cottrell. We put a bevel on the bottom outside edge of the dome, and sealed it with an O ring instead of potting it. The dome floats on a flat ring of polycarbonate lubricated with vacuum grease, and is secured only with wing nuts, so that in the event of needing to open the sub from the outside, that can be readily done without tools. It is not strictly speaking a hatch you can operate from either side, but it does accomplish the goal of emergency access. I investigated other options similar to the Deep Worker system, but could not come up with anything that would work - the difference is that the Deep Workers have a massive hatch ring, which gives you a lot more to work with in terms of locating through-hulls or other hardware.

Personally what I would explore is closing the hatch with shock cord, so that in the event of an emergency you could just lift the hatch a little and slice through the cords. But for that to work, you would really need nicely machined surfaces. Snoopy's is not re-machined after fabrication, and therefore requires the clamp pressure for the two surfaces to conform and make a proper initial seal.

Best,

Alec