[PSUBS-MAILIST] vacuum packed

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Tue Sep 3 14:36:20 EDT 2013

To be fair, ABS did not require hatches to be operable from both sides
when the K-boats were designed and I believe the requirement was only
just adopted in 2010.  Modifying the hatch isn't terribly complicated
but would require a bit more fabrication, possibly one or more
thru-hulls with o-ring sealed shafts similar to the front motors.  The
guys in Michigan have such hatches on their subs so they could help us
in that design.  I think the important thing is not necessarily a
universal design but any reasonable modification that worked without
compromising the integrity of the pressure boundary.  For example,
Alec's solution for snoopy which not only serves the safety purpose but
I suspect makes it much easier to perform maintenance on the dome and
ring than it was when the dome was sealed in place with sikaflex.

The problem with destructive solutions such as using a circular saw or
sawz-all in the "field" is that the rescue tool itself can fail whether
it be battery depletion before the rescue is effected or simply dropping
the tool in the water and having it short out.  A sledge hammer might
work eventually but depending upon water conditions, can you get the
leverage and stance you need to lodge a destructive blow in a reasonable
amount of time?

Jon