[PSUBS-MAILIST] Tools and safety in a sub

Smyth, Alec Alec.Smyth at covisint.com
Thu Sep 5 09:07:55 EDT 2013

Some ideas…

-          Flashlight

-          Radio

-          Kitchen timers (2)

-          Spare fuses

-          Spare scrubber blower

-          Spare batteries

-          Tiny air horn (probably useless, but it’s a Coast Guard requirement and you want them happy)

I’ve seen a lot of people put dive masks in their subs too. Gary Boucher used to take along a jar with a rag in a saturated solution of baking soda. The alkaline rag was for wiping down skin in the case of battery explosion. I carried that too originally, but dropped it when I went to AGM batteries. I know a K350 has batteries outside the cabin, but I mention it in case you have a hotel battery inside.

Once you have your list, decide what actually needs to go in the sub and what can stay on the boat. I use two big plastic storage boxes, one labeled Surface and the other Sub. Items like the detergent don’t need to go in the sub, you just put that stuff on at the start of the day.

Best,

Alec