[PSUBS-MAILIST] Labor Day Diving

Douglas Suhr spiritofcalypso at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 12:53:58 EDT 2013

Hi Scott, thanks! The water temperature was about 72 degrees and the
visibility was 3 to 4 feet. Chautauqua lake is fairly close to us,
unfortunately it is not the best waters for diving. The water is very green
with algae and the seaweed is a constant fight until you get into the deep
water. The lake serves well for testing purposes though.

The only modification we made was a new pressure cap for the motor housing.
This submersible's thruster is not pressure compensated but instead sealed
in a 1-atm container. This is of course fine as long as you don't have any
leaking, which unfortunately we did when we first purchased the sub. We
ended up having to completely remove the motor from the housing, clean and
lubricate the motor and replace the relay. Then we had to discover the leak
point. Fortunately it wasn't the shaft seal, only the access cap on the
housing. We modified a new cap from one we purchased at a marine supply
house and haven't experienced any more water intrusion since. I'll tell you
though, after all this mess I am much more in favor of pressure
compensating than trying to seal a 1-atm container.

Hope you are coming along nicely with Trustworthy. I can't wait to see her
in person at the convention! The photos look very nice, but you know they
can never really speak for the real thing. ~ Douglas S.