[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pisces III rescue story

vbra676539 at aol.com vbra676539 at aol.com
Wed Sep 25 08:32:04 EDT 2013

I think P-III was one of the boats with a squat sort of stabilizing fin on the stern over that hatch. They were heavy and not very useful dynamically, so Hyco made a deck extension to cover the access to the aft sphere. That was afterwards. The lesson was obvious, of course. Roger Chapman wrote a book about the event. I've got a copy, and it's a good yarn--especially because it had a happy ending. Vickers was our (Intersub's) primary competitor, and they were some very high end and experienced people. The best. They pulled together all over the UK to get another sub across country from Aberdeen and back on location in the Irish Sea. If you want to know how the Brits ruled the seas for so long, read Roger's book. It's a great example. Grit, seamanship, perseverance...all of that and more. It was an honor to know those guys.
Vance