[PSUBS-MAILIST] New submarine

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 06:55:05 EDT 2014

Hi Scott,
G.L., Section 4, Design Loads, Table 4.1 says that for your designated depth, the collapse diving pressure divided by your nominal diving depth, has to be more than 1.73, & your test diving pressure has to be more than or equal to 1.2 x your nominal diving pressure.
So for a maximum operating depth of 1000 meters, build to a crush depth of at least 1,730 meters & test to a minimum of 1200 meters. In table 4.2 it is a bit confusing, but I am reading it as saying the view ports are to
be tested to 1.5 x your nominal dive depth.
Re CAD programs; I bought Rhino 5, Orca, (which is a marine design plug-in for Rhino 5) & scan & solve.
Scan & solve is a basic FEA plug-in for Rhino. I had advice from a qualified person in the submersible design
field before purchasing. You can get in the ball park with the Scan & Solve FEA & then hand the design on to a qualified person with a more powerful program for refinement. I looked at Solid Works, but it was very complex
& expensive & if you aren't going to use it 40 hours a week you are gong to struggle.
It would be a really good move for you, buying a CAD program.
I also purchased a course on Rhino from Infinite Skills & in hindsight think that was a smart thing to do.
All the best with the new project.
Alan