[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

swaters swaters at waters-ks.com
Thu Apr 10 07:26:41 EDT 2014

Wow. Thanks Sean. I really appriciate the calculations!
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© Smartphone"Sean T. Stevenson" <cast55 at telus.net> wrote:Scott, my pressure hull optimization software project has been sitting idle on the back burner for some time now.  Nevertheless, some of the modules work, so I ran your numbers through the spherical shell calculator.  The results shown below are in compliance with the most recent ABS rules, with no additional safety factor added.  I used your 6' dimension as the inner diameter, and incremented shell thickness 0.0001 m at a time until the desired working depth was reached.  Executive summary:  0.0378 m (1.4882 in) for A516 gr 70, and 0.0208 m (0.8189 in) for HY-80.  Details below:

Let me know if you want to run additional scenarios.

Sean