[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor Pod Ventilation

Joe Perkel josephperkel at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 22:16:27 EDT 2014

Jon /Sean / Jim,
If I can simplify the motor cooling with ambient water, all
the better, I prefer the simplicity of that method. But, I must, must, have air-conditioning!
I must reduce cabin humidity and temperature to comfortable levels, this is a
manned steel drum in the tropical sun! Plus, I want my electronics dry.
My intent is to isolate the machine space with a thermal
bulkhead with the required lines and piping routed through as appropriate. That
machine space then force ventilated to the outside in the sail for extended
surface transits. I was figuring that since I’m doing all this ventilating
anyway that I would feed these outside motor pods into this environment. But I
do like the idea of keeping down the number of thru hulls if I don’t need them
and just use the passing water.
That bulkhead need not be neither structural nor watertight,
simply a thermal barrier with manhole access to the goodies beyond. The space
can be monitored with sensors and video and a fire suppression system could be
discharged without impacting the occupants???

Joe