[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air conditioning

JimToddPsub at aol.com JimToddPsub at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 23:51:35 EDT 2014

Joe,

There have been several prior threads over the past few  years regarding
non-compressor, onboard A-C systems such as modified ice  chests with computer
fans.  The cooling medium doesn't have to be  ice.  It could even be steel
bricks that have been cooled in a freezer or  in a container of dry ice if
you're prepared to safely handle steel that's been  cooled to less that -109
F.  Obviously the dry ice doesn't go into the  sub.  You'll still get
humidity reduction from the condensation on the  cooling medium.

Triton, U-Boat Worx, and some others have onboard A-C systems that might
be  compressor based.  Maybe those who toured Triton can answer  that.  I'd
certainly like to see the specs on weight, capacity, battery  draw, etc.

I don't plan on a mechanical system myself, but will depend on surface
cooling from a system on the tender.  That's very similar to what Nuytco  uses.
 I'll use a small passive system onboard when necessary.

Jim.

In a message dated 4/13/2014 9:16:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time,