[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Sean T. Stevenson cast55 at telus.net
Mon Apr 14 16:35:50 EDT 2014

That really comes down to the effective use of space. Sphere is stronger, displaces less, weighs less for same depth, and is simpler (no stiffeners). However, diameter is the only factor you can change to play with available space, which you may not be able to use effectively. Cylinder allows you to play with both diameter and length, as as such is more versatile, but will be heavier for same depth and space, requires stiffening / more welding. Spheres are also difficult to fabricate to strict tolerance - either to spin them and carry extraneous weight to meet minimum thickness, or you press segments and weld them together, which allows better thickness control but is a lot of welding.

Sean