[PSUBS-MAILIST] Deep sea question

Sean T. Stevenson cast55 at telus.net
Mon Apr 14 19:21:58 EDT 2014

Vance - that doesn't seem accurate. Compressibility of a material is the inverse of its bulk modulus. For ASTM A516 grade 70 carbon steel, the bulk modulus is 140 GPa, and for ASTM B265 grade 5 titanium it is 110 GPa. So the steel actually performs better in that regard. Was the Alvin sphere made from some atypical alloy?

Sean