[PSUBS-MAILIST] Deep sea question

Vance Bradley VBra676539 at AOL.com
Mon Apr 14 20:40:25 EDT 2014

I don't recall the specific mix for Alvin. You are right of course for comparable wall thicknesses, but the way I understand it from tabletop descriptions, steel compresses more. The Mirs are maraging steel and have seawater vbts to compensate buoyancy variables. The new Alvin iteration is equipped the same way. The Ti sphere Is 3.5" wall, I think, which I speculate to be effectively non or near noncompressable for the given operating pressure of 11,000 psi. Or so the story goes.
Vance

Sent from my iPhone