[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 16 12:41:10 EDT 2014

Jim,
You missed a step, If the sphere is welded to the cylinder like a giant deep worker.  Then your calculation needs to remove part of the volume of the sphere.  The portion of sphere volume  that intrudes into the cylinder needs to be removed from the total volume.
Hank --------------------------------------------
On Wed, 4/16/14, Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations
 To: personal_submersibles at psubs.org

 Hi
 Les,
 The
 basic formula for the volume of a sphere is .  Don't
 accidentally
 plug in the diameter instead of the radius (I've done
 that).  To simplify the formula,
 convert the 4/3
 to a decimal carried to as many places as you wish for
 accuracy:
 1.333333.  So it now reads V=1.3333
 π r3.  Since π = 3.14159
 (rounded), you can go ahead and multiply
 it by your 1.333333 to get 4.1888.
 Your simplified formula now reads V =
 4.1888 x
 r3
 or V = 4.1888 x r
 x r
 r.  You can use that simplified formula
 for
 calculating the volume of any sphere by plugging in the
 r3.  The 4.1888 is a
 constant.

 In
 your case since the diameter of the sphere is 2 meters, your
 radius is 1 meter
 and the volume of your sphere is 4.1888 cubic meters.  Having the simplified formula saves a

 lot number crunching when you are calculating different
 sizes.  If you can set up a
 spreadsheet
 containing that formula it will be even easier.  You can also use that formula to
 calculate the volume of a hemispherical tank head on a
 cylinder by dividing it
 by 2.

 calculate the volume of a cylinder, first calculate the area
 of a circle of that
 radius and multiply it by the length.  A
 = π r2
 .  For your radius of 0.6 meters,
 A = 1.13
 m2 or 4.524 m3 for a 4 meter long
 cylinder.

 Add a
 hemispherical tank head on the other
 end:  V = 4.1888 x
 .63 and you get a volume of
 .905 m3.

 Add
 the three figures together:
 Sphere
 4.189
 Cylinder
 4.524
 Head

 0.905

 9.618 m3 Total volume

 As
 you can see, these figures pretty well match up with
 Sean’s.  Your sub would have to
 weigh at least
 9858 kg (21,688 lb) in air in
 order to submerge in sea water.
 Adding external ballast tanks will not reduce that
 figure.  Adding internal ballast
 tanks will
 reduce it by the weight of the water in those internal
 tanks.

 Don’t
 worry about dumb questions.
 I’ve
 had a few.  If anything I’ve
 written
 above is inaccurate, someone will correct it for the benefit
 of all.  I wanted to keep it
 simple instead of
 adding too much detail.  That can
 be
 done later.

 Best
 regards,
 Jim
 T.

 In a message dated 4/16/2014 12:58:11 A.M. Central
 Daylight Time,
 personal_submersibles at psubs.org writes:

   Les, the total
 mass of the trimmed-out craft will
   be exactly the displacement volume of your proposed craft
 multiplied by the
   density of seawater, if you expect to be neutrally
 buoyant.  Back of
   envelope calcs:  a 2m sphere is 4.189 m^3, a cylinder
 1.2m OD x 4m is
   4.524 m^3, for a total of 8.713 m^3. Multiplying by 1025
 kg/m^3 (seawater
   density) gives 8930.825 kg.  Subtract some for the
 common volume, add
   some for superstructure, conning tower etc., but
 that's the ballpark.  Or
   are your worried about the dry weight of the steel used in

   construction?

 Sean

 On 2014-04-15 23:25, Personal