[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 01:14:13 EDT 2014

Hi Les,

The figure of 9858 kg (21,688 lb.) is based  solely on the combined volume
of the sphere, cylinder,  and endcap of the sub.  That is, it will displace
that many kg or  lb of seawater when submerged.  Therefore the total vessel
must  weigh that much in order to submerge (nuetral) whether your hull is
1/4"  thick or 2" thick.  That includes the sphere, cylinder, radios, lead
weights, occupants, lunch, and everything else.  Those things that are
exterior will increase the displacement some and therefore the total weight
requirement as well.  Since you don't know the weight and volume  (displacement)
of those yet, you can't calculate them.  However based on  your dimensions,
the sub would have to weigh in the neighborhood of 11  tons.  See the first
sentence of Sean's post.  If you're comfortable  with that, then you can
proceed to the other steps in evaluating the feasibility  of the project.  It's
way beyond anything I would desire to  tackle.

The weight of the water that enters your exterior ballast  tanks will not
contribute to meeting the required weight of  the sub since that water only
offsets the displacement of the tanks  themselves.  Adding more or bigger
exterior ballast tanks does not increase  the sub's ability to submerge (other
than by the weight of the materials  composing the tanks).  The tanks are
for adding buoyancy to the extent of  the amount of air within them.

Now if your hull and other components total more than 11 tons,  you'll need
to add static flotation such as syntactic foam to  compensate for the
excess weight.  Yes, you could accomplish the same thing  with your ballast
tanks, but it's not as safe.

Best regards,
Jim

In a message dated 4/16/2014 8:44:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,