[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 01:41:00 EDT 2014

Hi again Jim , please have patience with me, either I am completely not thinking straight or we are talking apples and oranges ?
I am talking about dry air surface land weight , you make a cylinder out of 3/4" steel plate 1.2m diam 4m long with same material end caps
What weight are you going to have to lift it with a crane?
cheers
Les
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Personal Submersibles General Discussion
  To: personal_submersibles at psubs.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

  Hi Les,

  The figure of 9858 kg (21,688 lb.) is based solely on the combined volume of the sphere, cylinder, and endcap of the sub.  That is, it will displace that many kg or lb of seawater when submerged.  Therefore the total vessel must weigh that much in order to submerge (nuetral) whether your hull is 1/4" thick or 2" thick.  That includes the sphere, cylinder, radios, lead weights, occupants, lunch, and everything else.  Those things that are exterior will increase the displacement some and therefore the total weight requirement as well.  Since you don't know the weight and volume (displacement) of those yet, you can't calculate them.  However based on your dimensions, the sub would have to weigh in the neighborhood of 11 tons.  See the first sentence of Sean's post.  If you're comfortable with that, then you can proceed to the other steps in evaluating the feasibility of the project.  It's way beyond anything I would desire to tackle.

  The weight of the water that enters your exterior ballast tanks will not contribute to meeting the required weight of the sub since that water only offsets the displacement of the tanks themselves.  Adding more or bigger exterior ballast tanks does not increase the sub's ability to submerge (other than by the weight of the materials composing the tanks).  The tanks are for adding buoyancy to the extent of the amount of air within them.

  Now if your hull and other components total more than 11 tons, you'll need to add static flotation such as syntactic foam to compensate for the excess weight.  Yes, you could accomplish the same thing with your ballast tanks, but it's not as safe.

  Best regards,
  Jim