[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 10:04:16 EDT 2014

I just wanted to add that the form is similar for elliptical shells, only you must take into consideration that, for example, a 2:1 semi-elliptical head only has true 2:1 shape on one side of the shell (typically the inside), since you are adding constant thickness to that shape in all directions, as opposed to a concentric ellipsoid. Thus, for major inner radius r, the volume of such a head would be:

V = {4/3 × π × [(r+t)(r+t)((r/2)+t)-(r)(r)(r/2)]}/2

Sean