[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 01:28:11 EDT 2014

Calculating volume using surface area multiplied by thickness is not accurate unless you use calculus and integrate between the radius limits. Fortunately, this is how we derive the rule-of-thumb formulas for volume, which are simpler and easier to use.  For a spherical shell,

V = (4/3) × π × (ro^3 - ri^3)

For a cylindrical shell,

V = π × (ro^2 - ri^2) × L

Once you have your material volume, multiply by its density to get the mass.

Sean