[PSUBS-MAILIST] port test importance

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Dec 12 12:12:05 EST 2014

Hi all,
I just had a port fail in my test chamber.  The port looked very nice on the exterior.  The interior had a small chip and the crack went right through the chip.  The failure happened at 1,500 feet after about 10 seconds.  I don't think this failure would sink the boat but water would rush in.  The crack went across the gasket causing the air to escape the chamber.  The crack did not go all the way through the port.  I posted a picture of the port on Gamma restoration.  Back to test the last 3 ports with new shorts on, :-)