[PSUBS-MAILIST] Non developable surfaces

Alan alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 15:00:54 EST 2014

Hi Joe,
that sounds a lot easier.
I cooked some cast acrylic that was just over an inch thick & was surprised
how tough it was to bend. A bit like the bendiness of an eraser. When a local
firm blew a dome for me, they had to get another clamping ring made because
the original one looked like it would break under pressure. This mightn't be the
case with acrylics other than cast. I don't know. What I'm getting to is that you will need to
clamp it in place some how. I don't know how you intend to mount it, but if you
are bolting it on this is how I would do it...... I would put glad wrap over the area
of the ballast tank where the acrylic was going, & coat it with an inch of plaster
of paris, then when dry build it up with more plaster of paris so you have a strong
p.o.p. shape the same as the ballast tank contour. Maybe cut the p.o.p. to size
or mark around the p.o.p. with a felt pen on the ballast tank for positioning.
Heat & drape the acrylic over the area & position the p.o.p. over it, with a sheet of
felt between. Weight the p.o.p. with a sand bag to disperse weight & add more weight
on top of that.
If that doesn't quite do it, after that process you could drill holes through the acrylic
& ballast tank & reheat the acrylic & clamp it with bolts & a retaining ring.
Not quite in Tahiti yet. Most people did there big OE in there 20s. I 've had to wait
till my 50s.