[PSUBS-MAILIST] Compass Choice

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 15:02:56 EST 2014

Hi Alec,
Thanks for the explanation, I'm a bit vague on these things & it looks like I'll have to learn.
I'm probably about 6 months off making a decision on a PLC but that looks like what
I need. I had been looking at using a rebreather system for life support, where they
monitor the input of 3 O2 sensors & take the average reading of the closest 2.
James Cameron had his life support system based on the rebreather & built  by Ambient
Pressure Diving who make the Inspiration rebreather.
I was going to approach APD but It seems a relatively easy system to replicate on a PLC.
I like the electronic compass I posted, with the yaw pitch & roll & graphics software.
They state....... The 5000-US software includes a USB to serial port driver, facilitating a quick connection between the compass and your Windows based system. Compasses can also be connected to a host system using Microsoft Hyperterm or other terminal programs.
I am not sure if I can connect this to a PLC with Microsoft Hyperterm. But buying something with the
graphics program already written would be a big advantage. Any knowledge as to whether I
can connect this to any PLC?
I took a photo of the Triton computer/PLC. (attached bottom of page) It does have a windows logo
on the keyboard but I think the screen detaches & runs independantly, so may be a PLC.
All confusing to me. See what you think.
Alan