[PSUBS-MAILIST] 12V DC Sonar Implementation

Steve McQueen psub101 at indy.rr.com
Fri Jan 31 20:19:58 EST 2014

All, thought I would share an exercise I am noodling through. As an off
shoot to developing my K-250 electrical layout I am looking at what it
would take to add (later) a sonar system based on a 12V DC system.  Thought
I could get some feedback as well as provide an "example" for others
considering a similar scenario.

On the Psubs site under Submitter/Steve McQueen/K-250 Sonar Electrical you
can find my initial version of a wiring diagram. In this example I used
easily found components as a base reference.

My current self inflicted design constraints:
Implementation of the Teledyne BlueView M-900 2D imaging sonar
Utilization of laptop for viewing (vs. separate processor with remote
monitor)
Dedicated 12V DC sourced (separate from main 12V DC bank)
4 hours of run time

I am sure my initial design can be made more efficient. The initial design
has 2 parallel 12V/150 Ah batteries which are larger and heavier than I'd
like (22x4x11 inches or 560x110x280 mm and 89.3 lbs or 40.5 kg). This
design gives 3.9 hrs of run time

For me the design goal is to reduce battery footprint (size/weight)

Any comments? Anyone have sonar based on 12V DC?