[PSUBS-MAILIST] MK-101 Connectors

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 29 13:58:29 EDT 2014

Alan, I think the confusion stems from the fact that SubConn uses one
datasheet for multiple pin configurations.  The per-pin-rating is 25
amps, but the overall connector rating is 50 amps regardless of the
number of pins in the configuration.  So a three pin configuration
should only carry 16.6 amps per pin, and a four pin configuration should
only carry 12.5 amps per pin, to stay within the total connector rating
of 50 amps.  Perhaps this is obvious to an electrical engineer but seems
rather confusing to me.  It would be nice to see a separate data sheet
for each pin configuration.

So perhaps the "how many amps per pin" question was a bit specific for
an engineer who was probably considering the physical and electrical
capabilities of a single pin and not taking into account the actual
application.  Anyway, I will be talking to SubConn this afternoon to get
it straightened out once and for all.

Jon