[PSUBS-MAILIST] Terminating a conical transition

Joe Perkel via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 2 16:48:52 EDT 2014

I have spotted the ABS diagrams and specifications for re-enforcement and butt welds at conical to cylinder transitions. I am somewhat unclear however as to terminating at the head.

For example, the diagrams in the 2014 ABS underwater vehicles and hyperbaric chamber publication shows conical transitions either bordered by a cylinder at either end, or simply open at the small end???

I want to terminate the small end of a conical transition directly to a small diameter hemi-head without another straight section, but I am unclear as to whether or not that is acceptable in practice.

Joe