[PSUBS-MAILIST] Terminating a conical transition

Fri May 2 19:45:11 EDT 2014

2:1 semi-elliptical heads are usually fabricated with some length of straight flange (tangential cylindrical section) beyond the axis of the ellipse. Hemispherical heads may or may not have a straight flange section, but in either case are permissible to use adjacent to conical sections, provided all other requirements are met. For stiffened cones, you must have stiffeners meeting the "heavy stiffener" criteria at both ends, as close as practicable to the cone-to-cylinder and cone-to-head transitions. For unstiffened cones, the length L_c used in overall buckling calculations must be the total length between the next heavy stiffener to either side of the entire compartment length, or between the 40% of head depth points if otherwise unbounded.  Cone to head welds are done in the same manner as cone to cylinder welds, and if your head is supplied with a flange, it is the same thing.

Sean