[PSUBS-MAILIST] Lights

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue May 13 09:02:53 EDT 2014

I used Trustfire lights for a season on Snoopy but the experience was all
around bad. I bought two, one of which did not work due to a faulty
connection at the endcap (which acts like a switch). The factory shipped me
a new end-cap that fixed the problem. In fresh water they worked well, but
when I went to Islamorada last year they lasted less than a day in the salt
water. After just hours, one stopped working altogether and both lights
were very visibly corroded. Silly me, I hadn't thought this through. The
Trustfire lights close the circuit when you screw in the endcap on the
handle. They use the light body itself as a conductor, like a car uses its
chassis. I think the issue is that if you put two such lights in salt
water, you will get stray currents between them.

On next week's dive I'll be testing new lights, which are LED flood lights
intended for tractors or off road vehicles. I've been really impressed with
how solid these are. They are wired with two cables, rather than using the
light body as a ground. Second, they have a little screw that serves no
visible purpose, but which when removed allows you to fill them with
mineral oil. It took a while to get the last bubbles out, but with patience
you can fill these with oil and remove all bubbles in about an hour. The
front plastic has a little give to absorb the compression if I have any
bubbles left, but I think I have none. To fill them I used a syringe with a
"dispenser needle" which is a blunt syringe needle you use for filling
things rather than giving someone an injection. The lights are IP67, so
supposedly water-tight, but my only mod was to reinforce the cable gland
with some epoxy. We shall see how they work, but my hopes are up, I think
these might finally be the ideal sub lights and can be used virtually off
the shelf. I recommend not buying them until Snoopy returns from next
week's dive, but here is the link if you want to take a look in the
meantime.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Lights/DC-Mobile-Equipment-Lights/12-24-VDC-3120-LUMEN-16-LED-UTILITY-FLOOD-LIGHT-12-999-B.axd

Best,

Alec

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM, swaters via Personal_Submersibles <